The army says the detained former president Alpha Conde will not be allowed to leave Guinea after the coup, defying regional pressure.
Guinea’s military leaders say they will not allow deposed President Alpha Conde to seek exile, after regional mediators tried to increase pressure to secure his release following a coup earlier this month.
Friday’s statement came after the West African regional bloc known as ECOWAS met with Colonel Mamady Doumbouya in Conakry.
“We will not give in to any pressure,” military leaders said after the talks concluded. “Conde is and will remain in Guinea.”
ECOWAS President, Ghanaian President Nana Akufo-Addo, and Ivory Coast President Alassane Ouattara met with Doumbouya, the coup leader and head of a special forces unit in the army, and visited with Count, who has been in custody since he was overthrown. on September 5 after more than 10 years in power.
Akufo-Addo said the delegation had “a very frank and brotherly discussion” with Doumbouya and his associates.
“I think ECOWAS and Guinea are going to do well together,” he said, adding that they had also been able to have a fruitful meeting with Conde.
The bloc agreed to targeted sanctions on Thursday after Guinean military leaders failed to comply with its demands. ECOWAS has called for Conde’s immediate release and a swift transition of power, with elections held within six months.
The soldiers behind the coup say they are consulting with various public figures, groups and business leaders in the country to map out a framework for the transition. They claim to have ousted Conde due to concerns about poverty and corruption, and because he was serving a third term only after altering the constitution to allow it.
The sanctions adopted include the freezing of financial assets and the imposition of travel bans on Guinean military leaders and their families.
West and Central Africa has seen four coups since last year. Political turmoil has heightened concerns about a rollback to military rule in a resource-rich but poverty-stricken region.