Railway duplication and electrification project: Continuous movement of cargo and passengers! Indian Railways has recently completed and commissioned 17 kilometers of double electric traction line between Vijayawada and Uppaluru in South India. According to South Central Railways, the commissioning of the double line together with electrification is part of the Indian Railways electrification and duplication project of the Vijayawada – Gudivada – Bhimavaram – Narsapur section, the Gudivada – Machilipatnam section and the Narsapur – Nidadavolu section. . This is a prestigious Indian Railways project, located in the Andhra Pradesh coastal belt. The rail project is expected to boost development in the region.
The railway project was sanctioned in the year 2011-12 for 221 kilometers of distance at an estimated amount of Rs 3,000 crore. The railway project is being carried out by RVNL. Of the 221 kilometers of distance, 141 kilometers in length have been completed and commissioned. Works are progressing at an accelerated pace on the remaining 70-kilometer stretch of the route and are nearing completion. The following are some of the main benefits of the newly completed double line with electrification between Vijayawada and Uppaluru:
1) The project will strengthen the rail transportation infrastructure significantly by providing a smooth movement of both passenger and freight traffic on rails.
2) The new duplicated line will increase mobility and serve public aspirations regarding rail transport.
3) With this, it is expected that the economy of the interior of the country will see a leverage with a boost in the movement of agriculture, as well as aquatic items.
4) The recent electrification of the line will help save energy, as well as reduce fuel consumption, in addition to minimizing the carbon footprint.
5) This also serves as the viable alternative line for the coastal rail corridor between the cities of Vijayawada and Visakhapatnam.